Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Easy Fried Fish and Potato Cakes
If you have been reading my blog, you probably know that I'm a sucker for fried foods and panko. So, a couple of days ago, I had some leftover mashed potatoes and a fillet of cod in the fridge, and decided to make some fishcakes before work. It was very easy to make, and I didn't use very many ingredients, but it was delicious! It is a great way to use up leftovers and have a meal that I normally don't have.
Read on to find out how I made my fish cakes at home!
Easy Fried Fish & Potato Cakes
2 cups of leftover mashed potatoes (room temp)
1 large fillet of cod (or any meaty white fish)
1/2 cup chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
panko to coat
oil for frying
1. Poach cod in a mixture of chicken broth and water, until firm and easily flaked with fork. Drained and cool.
2. Using a fork, combine fish, mashed potatoes, and ONE egg. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Mold the mixture in 1/2" thick patties, as big or small as you like. Refrigerate for 30 mins.
4. Prepare the breading part: one plate of scrambled egg, and one plate of panko.
5. Dredge a fish patty with the egg, remove excess, then the panko. Repeat until all the patties have been coated.
6. Heat oil in heavy-bottom pan over medium high heat. In batches, cook patties about 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with your favorite condiments.