Thursday, January 7, 2010

Cheesy Ham and Broccoli Potato Casserole


I've been on a panko kick lately, and anything I can think of to put panko on, I do. Panko is a Japanese-style breadcrumb that is made without the crust, thus it's airier and creates a crunchier coating. I have been using it for all my homemade mac and cheese, fried foods,...basically anything you would put breadcrumbs on. Anyway, I used some for my potato casserole the other night, and Yum! The crust was golden, crunchy, and delicious! In fact, I was supposed to share it with my boyfriend, but I ate most of it...oops!



If you enjoy the photo of the dish before I devoured it, please read on for the recipe:





2 medium-sized potatoes, diced 1/2"
1/2 cup diced ham
1/2 cup of chopped broccoli florets
1 can of Campbell's cheddar cheese soup
1/4 cup of milk
Panko breadcrumb
1 1/2 tbsp butter, diced, room temperature
salt and pepper to taste
Grated parmesan (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Prepare a buttered baking dish, set aside.

2. Place diced potatoes in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until a fork can pierce through the largest chunks. (Caution: do not overcook potatoes in this step) Drain, and return to pot.

3. While the potatoes are cooking, stir together the canned cheese soup and milk in a saucepan over medium heat, until hot. Keep warm.

4. When the potato is cooked, add diced ham, broccoli, and cheese mixture to pot with potatoes. Gently fold with spatula until mixed well. (Be careful not to mash the potatoes chunks!)



5. Transfer the potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle generously with panko breadcrumb on top and dot with butter.



6. Bake for 1 hour, or until bubbly and golden brown. Let sit for a few minutes before serving.

7. Sprinkle with grated parmesan, if desired.




2 comments:

  1. I wish I was at home right now so I could make this...how many servings did you get out of it? I'm thinking about doubling the recipe.
    Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually cook for only two people, so I would say that this serves 2-3 people as a side dish! Thanks for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete