Monday, January 25, 2010

Dairy-Free Potato Puree Soup






Many, many years ago, I worked at an upscale cafe that served amazing sandwiches, salads, and soups. One of my favorite thing there was their potato puree soup. Since they put their soups on rotation through the week, I usually get to have it at least once a week. In fact, I was so crazy about this soup that, if they were serving it on my day off, I asked all the cooks in the kitchen to call me at home, and I would loppity-lop down to the cafe and take home a little container of the potato soup.

Since then, I have often tried to re-create it at home, sometimes with success, sometimes...well, it becomes something entirely different. Anyway, I made this version of this potato puree soup today, and would like to share with you. It was extremely yummy, and my boyfriend and I devoured the entire pot in no time!

Read on if you love potato soups as much as me, and would like to know how to make it!


Dairy-Free Potato Puree Soup

2 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and diced 1/2"
1/4 Onion, sliced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Parsley (optional)

1. Cook potatoes in medium pot of boiling water until fork tender.

2. While potatoes are cooking, saute onion and garlic until tender. Set aside.





3. When potatoes are done, transfer potato chunks into a blender using a slotted spoon. Then, pour in the potato liquid until it barely covers the potatoes.



4. Add in the onion and garlic mixture. Blend until smooth. (Make sure you hold down the top with a kitchen towel, the hot liquid will explode! Depends on the size of your blender, you might have to blend in batches.)



5. Return the mixture to pot, reheat, and season to taste. If desired, garnish with a little parsley.


Note: If you don't like garlic, reduce the amount of garlic cloves in half. As far as I'm concerned, this soup is completely vegetarian and is very yummy! :)


2 comments:

  1. So GREAT! I love potato soup! And I can't have dairy!! I was hoping you would not add something like soy as a dairy sub because I can't have soy either. I just made a corn soup in pretty much the same way and it came out very good. Can't wait to try your soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so easy to make and it's really tasty! This version is very garlicky, but oh so good! :)

    ReplyDelete