Monday, January 11, 2010

Potato Tacos!




When I lived and worked in Los Angeles a little more than a decade ago, my co-workers and I used to go to this Mexican restaurant called Senor Fish for lunch. They had really good fish tacos and a rather large and inexpensive menu. One of my favorite things they served were potato tacos. I had never had one before, and after trying it for the first time, I was addicted! The taco shell was crispy, while the mash potato was hot and creamy. What more can you ask for?

So when I was looking around my kitchen tonight, I found some white corn tortillas and potatoes (of course!), and decided to make some potato tacos for dinner. I was pleasantly surprised at the results! It may not be the potato tacos at Senor Fish, but it was pretty delicious. Even my boyfriend who swore up and down that he won't like potatoes in tacos or pizza (that's another story), he declared it was a success!

Anyway, I'm just happy we have left-over mashed potato now. Read on to see how I made them...


I served this with a very easy salsa. See bottom for the salsa recipe.


Homemade Potato Tacos

1 medium-sized potato, peeled, diced 1/2"
1/4 cup milk
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp paprika
2 Tbsp of oil for frying
salt and pepper to taste
white corn tortillas

1. Cook diced potato in lightly salted boiling water until fork tender, about 10-12 minutes. Drain and return to pot.

2. Add milk, butter, cumin and paprika into the potato mixture. Mix well and mash. Season with salt and pepper to taste.


3. Heat oil in a heavy-bottom pan over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, warm up tortilla for about 30 seconds per side in another skillet, until pliable.

4. Working quickly, place a large spoonful of the mashed potatoes in the middle of the warmed tortilla. Fold the tortilla in half and secure with skewers. Repeat until desired number of tacos. (I made five.)


5. Fry each taco on each side for a couple minutes, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm with salsa.



Easy Homemade Salsa

2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/4 yellow onion, diced
1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
salt to taste

Combine all ingredients. Keep chilled in refrigerator until tacos are ready to serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment